This site is dedicated to providing important information on asbestos & mesothelioma cancers. We help mesothelioma patients and families make educated decisions about how to proceed with filing asbestos and mesothelioma claims. Those dealing with asbestos cancers face a number of challenges, including the tremendous costs of treatment. If you were unknowingly exposed to harmful levels of asbestos, you have legal rights and there is compensation help available for you.
Asbestos and Mesothelioma Illnesses due the negligence of Asbestos Manufacturers
Every year, thousands of people die or become ill due to the negligence of asbestos manufacturers. If this has happened to you or a loved one, you should contact a mesothelioma lawyer as soon as possible. You may have been powerless to prevent current medical problems, but you do have legal options. Hiring a lawyer with extensive experience and knowledge of asbestos claims can help you receive compensation from those responsible.
Mesothelioma, which is almost exclusively caused by asbestos exposure, and other asbestos-related illnesses are attributed to negligence because asbestos companies knew about the associated health risks and decided not to tell employees or leak this information to the general public. As early as the 1920s asbestos companies were completely aware that their product not only caused harm to human health, but that it held the potential to claim the lives of those exposed to the substance.
We have helped many families get experienced legal and medical help for their mesothelioma cancer and asbestos cancer cases. We will actually walk you though the process of contacting an experienced mesothelioma lawyer that we have worked with to get you the best possible settlement for your mesothelioma claim.
We connect you with experienced Asbestos, Mesothelioma lawyers who have successfully tried cases in your state. Mesothelioma Help Canter is a FREE consumer service. Our goal is to help legal consumers get in touch legal professionals and to keep the public aware of new discoveries in treatments for Mesothelioma. We maintain a current Mesothelioma article library and we keep you up to date on current legal settlements for asbestos cases.
Mesothelioma and Asbestos Lawsuits
Mesothelioma has received much publicity in recent years, due to the high number of lawsuits against companies involved with the use asbestos. Virtually all documented cases of mesothelioma stem from inhaling large amounts of asbestos material, and due to the prevalence of asbestos in many different applications, total compensation numbers have been staggering. So extensive were the number of lawsuits, the U.S. government has limited the amount of compensation one can receive, and also the conditions under which one can file a lawsuit.
Before the U.S. government passed The Fairness in Asbestos Compensation Act in 1999, one did not need to develop any signs of mesothelioma to begin litigation. One only needed to have worked in an environment where asbestos exposure occurred. Over 200,000 cases in the Federal Courts during that year alone prompted the government action. As a result, there must be a diagnosis of mesothelioma in order to file for compensation, and punitive damages are no longer awarded.
While it may seem that The Fairness in Asbestos Compensation Act was a blow to the rights of workers exposed to asbestos, in reality, it proved to be a positive for those legitimately filing to obtain compensation for mesothelioma. Because so many people were filing lawsuits where they had not actually developed mesothelioma (and therefore did not require compensation), insurance companies began to file for bankruptcy. This left those who had legitimate claims to compensation for mesothelioma without the necessary resources to fund their treatment.
The reasons why mesothelioma litigation can be difficult are twofold. First, the symptoms of this particular cancer are very non-specific, and therefore many times to not prompt those afflicted to seek medical attention as soon as they should. It can take decades to develop after the initial exposure to asbestos, but after the onset of the disease, the patient's condition can deteriorate rapidly. Second, in most states, there is a specific deadline by which you must initiate litigation involving compensation for mesothelioma that begins on the day of diagnosis.
Another aspect of mesothelioma compensation is often more difficult to face. When a relative of someone diagnosed with mesothelioma dies as a result of the cancer, a wrongful death lawsuit may be filed. Generally, the primary action that an attorney will perform to prove wrongful death will be interviewing fellow employees of the deceased, as well as supervisors and other people affiliated with the company that exposed him/her to asbestos.
Actual figures can vary wildly, depending on factors such as length and severity of exposure to asbestos, the stage of the mesothelioma, applicable state laws, and of course the goals of the person filing the lawsuit. Generally speaking, however, compensation for mesothelioma ranges between one and three million dollars, minus a contingency fee for the attorney. This fee can, of course, vary also, but usually falls between 30% and 40% of the total compensation.
Source: www.EzineArticles.com/?expert=Ryan Gabriel
You May Be Entitled To Monetary Compensation !
If you are in need of legal advice or services, or simply wish to speak to an attorney who has successfully handled mesothelioma & asbestos cases in your state, you may use Mesothelioma Compensation Attorneys Contact Form for a quick response or give us a call Toll Free: 800.291.0963. There is NO COST or obligation for this service.
As a result, those with mesothelioma have legal options and are allowed to seek compensation through the court system because of these criminal actions. Filing a claim against the entity responsible for your asbestos exposure will not only bring justice to the corrupt asbestos industry, it will also afford the opportunity to be compensated for the costs, as well as pain and suffering, associated with asbestos-induced illness. The following include some of the expenses for which you can pursue compensation:
- Lost wages
- Medical bills
- Group support for you and your loved ones
- Funeral expenses
- Travel expenses relating to medical treatments
- Expenses not covered by health insurance
27.5 Million Americans Exposed
It is estimated that 27.5 million Americans were exposed to asbestos between 1940 and 1979. Asbestos was once thought to be an excellent fireproof and insulating material. Sadly, between 2,000 and 5,000 people die each year as a result of exposure to asbestos.
The effects of asbestos 20, 30 and even 40 or more years later have been devastating. Workers exposed to asbestos could potentially contract Mesothelioma, a terminal cancer or another condition called asbestosis.
Many of these victims or their families are filing lawsuits against companies that exposed them to asbestos to cover medical expenses and pain and suffering. Unfortunately, the large number of lawsuits may bankrupt the companies and deserving victims may be left without a way to collect the money damages to which they are entitled. Through 2002, more than 600,000 people have filed compensation against more than 6,000 companies.
Asbestos, Mesothelioma Compensation - Loss of A Loved One
If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with an asbestos cancer, or a family member has died as a result, you may be entitled to recover compensation from the companies that made these asbestos products.
Some previous Asbestos related Mesothelioma cases have settled for:
- $250 Million in Settlements for 70-Year Old retired U.S. Steel worker, Gary, IN (3/2003)
- $55 Million in Settlements for 47-Year Old Construction Worker.
- $18 Million in Settlements for Copper Smelter Worker.
- $10.1 Million in Settlements for 66 year old foundry worker Tyler, Texas.
- $9.178 Million in Settlements for Aircraft Mechanic, Texas.
- $8 Million in Settlements for 56 year old Aluminum Pot Room worker.
- $5.70 Million in Settlements for 62 year old construction worker.
- $19.3 Million in Settlements for 66 year old chemical plant operator
- $8,000,000 for 63 year old Coast Guard - Bystander - IL
- $6,800,000 for 44 year old Navy Custodian - CA
- $4,600,000 for 50 year old Navy Mechanic - IL
- $4,200,000 for 41 year old construction worker and laborer - TX
- $3,000,000 for 42 year old Exposed in the navy and working in power plants -NY
- $2,700,000 for 45 year old Bystander Exposure - Home renovation and machine and toolmaker exposures - GA
- $2,700,000 for 67 year old Worked as a laborer around blast furnaces in a steel mill - KY
- $2,400,000 for 78 year old Exposed inspecting construction work on Naval destroyers and at Johns Manville plant -FL
- $2,400,000 for 50 year old Drywall Sprayer and Taper - ID
- $2,300,000 for 74 year old plant worker - CT
- $2,500,000 for 74 year old bystander exposure to plumber - CA
- $2,000,000 for 50 year old Shipyard worker - RI
- $2,100,000 for 52 year old worked as electrician - MS
- $1,850,000 for 79 year old Exposure in the navy and in civilian shipyard - HI
- $1,600,000 for 51 year old secondary exposure - LA
- $900,000 for 82 year old Navy/Shipyard Worker - VT
- $850,000 69 year old home renovator - AZ
Asbestos Mesothelioma Law Firms - Experience
Law firms that we work with concentrate only on asbestos and mesothelioma cases. We have experience placing people with experienced asbestos lawyers for eight years. We will actually walk you through the process of connecting you with an experienced asbestos lawyer in your state.
We help asbestos and asbestos patients and their families get in touch with legal and medical professionals. We help keep the public aware of new discoveries in treatments for Mesothelioma and Asbestos cancers. We also maintain a current online Mesothelioma Dictionary of Legal & Medical Terms and we keep you up to date on current legal settlements for asbestos cases.
We are proud of these new signficant mesothelioma verdicts of our lawyers we are working with:
- Yancy and Mudgett vs. Plant Insulation Company
- Hearn, Harris, Wetch vs. Plant Insulation Company
- Los Angeles Jury Awards $4.9 million in Cookus Case
- San Francisco Jury Awards $5,900,000 to Peninsula Executive
- San Francisco Jury Awards $5,150,000 to HVAC Mechanic and his Wife
- San Francisco Jury Awards $2,245,000 to Bulldozer Driver and his Wife
- Victor and Francesca Trinchese vs. Union Carbide, Inc.
- San Francisco Jury Returns $11.5 Million Verdict Against UNOCAL for Pipefitter's Wife
- San Francisco Jury Returns $1,125,579 Verdict Against Allied Signal, Inc.
See Also : Verdicts and Settlements
Asbestos, Mesothelioma Attorneys - Choices of Filing a Lawsuit
Deciding which law firm and Lawyer to represent you and your case is very important. Choosing the right lawyer will also be important to your settlement. You are entitled to an experienced mesothelioma lawyer who has a track record of success in asbestos lawsuits.
It is not uncommon for there to be 10-20 parties that are named in an asbestos lawsuit that are located across the United States. For example, a worker in California may have been exposed to asbestos from asbestos products shipped from Libby, Montana or from an iron ore plant in St. Paul Minnesota. This is why it is very important to obtain an experienced mesothelioma lawyer that knows all of the companies in each state who have responsibility for your asbestos exposure.
New Asbestos, Mesothelioma Cases
- It has been well documented for many years that asbestos exposure can result in the development of deadly cancers, particularly Mesothelioma.
- Mesothelioma has a latency period of 20 to 50 years after the first exposure to asbestos. It is estimated that there will be about 250,000 cases of Mesothelioma before 2020.
- There are currently about 3000 new cases of Mesothelioma diagnosed per year, mostly in men over the age of 40.
- About 4,000 People die each year from Mesothelioma. During the 20th century, some 30 million tons of asbestos were used in industrial sites, homes, schools, shipyards and commercial buildings in the U. S.
- More than 700,000 people have filed claims against more than 6,000 Asbestos companies.
- These same companies knew of the dangers for many years before ever warning the public of those risks. It is thought that around eight million people in the United States have been exposed to asbestos over the past half a century, and many more cases - are expected to be reported in the next 25 years.
We have helped people with mesothelioma cancer for more than eight years on the Internet. The Mesothelioma Help Center is designed to give you quick & simple answers about mesothelioma treatments, asbestos exposure, mesothelioma diagnosis, mesothelioma symptoms, mesothelioma doctors, and we can refer you to an experienced mesothelioma lawyer in who has successfully settled mesothelioma cases.
Those dealing with asbestos and mesothelioma face a number of challenges, including the tremendous costs of treatment. If you were unknowingly exposed to harmful levels of asbestos, you have legal rights and there is help available for you.
Deciding which law firm to represent you and your case is very important. Choosing the right law firm will also be important to your settlement. You are entitled to an experienced mesothelioma law firm who has a track record of success in asbestos lawsuits.
It is not uncommon for there to be 10-20 parties that are named in a asbestos lawsuit that are located across the United States. For example, a worker in California may have been exposed to asbestos from asbestos products shipped from Libby, Montana or from an iron ore plant in St. Paul Minnesota. This is why it is very important to obtain an experienced asbestos mesothelioma law firm that knows all of the companies in each state who have responsibility for your asbestos exposure.
If you are a grieving family member or executor of the will of a person who has died from asbestos-related disease or mesothelioma, you may be eligible to file a claim as well.
We help with you file Mesothelioma and Asbestos-related claims in each state
Call us toll free at 800.291.0963 or use quick contact form located at the right of this page and we will contact you within 24 hours.