Did You Know?
During the 20th century, some 30 million tons of asbestos were used in industrial sites, homes, schools, shipyards and commercial buildings in the U.S.
Shipyard workers were exposed to asbestos and many have developed asbestos and mesothelioma cancer. Shipyard workers and military personnel were often exposed to asbestos-covered boilers, steampipes, wall insulation, turbines, pipe covering, gaskets, pumps, cement and other asbestos containing products.
One of the most dangerous jobs was that of the shipbuilder. Shipyard workers who cut, trimmed, fitted, repaired or dismantled these insulated assemblies have suffered serious health issues as a result of this asbestos exposure. Shipyard workers who overhauled old ships were especially exposed as parts containing asbestos were torn out and replaced. Not only the shipyard workers, but the crews of those ships and the longshoreman - those who load the ships - were heavily exposed to asbestos as well.
Shipyard workers during World War II and before the 1980 were heavily exposed to asbestos.
Asbestos was ideal for use in ship building because of its ability to resist corrosion and high temperatures.
A study conducted at the Mt. Sinai School of Medicine found that 86% of shipyard
workers with 20 or more years of experience developed asbestos-related lung disease or lung cancer. Shipyard workers run an increased risk of developing mesothelioma or other asbestos-related illnesses.
Asbestos Exposure in Shipyards
- Bethlehem Shipyard, San Francisco
- Bethlehem Steel Shipyard, Terminal Island
- Navy Shipyard
- Conrad Industries
- Consolidated Steel Shipyards
- Hunters Point Naval Shipyard
- Kaiser Shipyard, Richmond
- Long Beach Naval Shipyard
- Mare Island Naval Shipyard, Vallejo, CA
- Marinship Corporation, Sausalito, CA
- Moore Drydock
- National Shipyards
- Naval Weapons Station
- Permanente Metals Corporation, #1 Yard, Richmond, CA
- Permanente Metals Corporation, #2 Yard, Richmond, CA
- Richmond Shipyard (Kaiser)
- Rough & Ready Island Ship Repair
- San Diego Naval Shipyard and Air Station
- San Francisco Drydock
- Southwest Marine Shipyard, Long Beach
- Southwest Marine Shipyard, San Diego
- Terminal Island Naval Operating Base
- Terminal Island Naval Shipyard
- Todds Shipyard, Los Angeles
- Todds Shipyard, San Francisco
- TODD-Alameda Naval Shipyard
- TODD Shipyard, Oakland
- TODD Shipyard, San Pedro
- U.S. Naval Shipyard
- U.S. Naval Operating Base, Terminal Island
- Vallejo Shipyard
- Western Shipyard
- Western Pipe & Steel Company of , San Pedro, CA
YOU MAY BE ENTITLED TO MONETARY COMPENSATION
If you are in need of legal advice or services, or simply wish to speak to an attorney who has successfully handled mesothelioma & asbestos cases in your state use our Free Online Consultation Form.
There is NO COST
or obligation for this service.